• Palais des Évêques de Saint-Lizier
  • Pharmacie XVIIIe - Saint-Lizier
  • Cloître de Saint-Lizier
  • Place de Saint-Lizier
  • Cathédrale Notre Dame de la Sède - Saint-Lizier
  • Modillons cathédrale - Saint-Lizier
  • Musée Palais des Évêques de Saint-Lizier
  • Bergère - Saint-Lizier
   
   

grd site picto transparentAt the foot of the Couserans mountains, Saint-Lizier, with its important heritage as a witness of a rich past, is one of the most historically charged towns in the Ariège.

The first text mentioning the « City of the Consorani » dates from the beginning of the Vth century.
However, an epigraphic discovery suggests that the City already existed at the end of the IInd century. It probably was at the moment of the construction of the fortifications (end IVth, beginning Vth century) that Saint-Lizier became the power center of the “Cité des Consorani”.

Towards the end of the Vth century, the City became a Bishop’s see of which Saint-Valier seemed to have been the first occupant. The second Bishop – mentioned in 506 by the Consilium of Agde - was Lycérius, or Glycérius who, according to the copyists, became Saint-Lizier and gave his name to the City.
For over 79 prelates succeeded on the Couserans Bishop’s see, that got suppressed by the Concordat in 1801. And so Saint-Lizier simply became the head of the district.
Today, the City has regained its titles of nobility throughout numerous labels. Its many monuments bear witness to a proud historical past.



Nowadays, the City of Saint-Lizier has 1470 inhabitants and is considered being an important milestone on the road to Santiago (GR 78), and thus, since 1998, the main monuments of Saint-Lizier have been classified a World Heritage site by UNESCO.

The City of Saint-Lizier is labelled "Grands Sites Midi-Pyrénées" (main Midi-Pyrénées sites) : "COLLECTION ARIEGE".
These labelled villages, towns and natural sites are committed to a quality approach.
The "Grands Sites Midi-Pyrénées" program is supported by the European Union.

 The video "Grands Sites Midi-Pyrénées"

"Grands sites Ariège" and sites of headlight